Sunday, November 28, 2010

Growing Up Digital, Wired for Distraction Response

Vishal explains that "on Youtube you can get a whole story in 6 minutes. A book takes too long". Although, I'm not constantly online like Vishal, I feel that our attention spans are similar. When I was younger I was able to spend hours reading a book whereas now I could barely read 20 pages without getting bored. However, the same thing applies to my online habits, personally I cant spend more the 10 minutes on Facebook without getting bored either. I feel that the cause of the shortening of my attention span, and Vishal's as well,  is the ability to do many things at once which technology allows us to do.  Rarely, I'm I doing one thing at time when I'm on the computer just like Vishal, "I’m doing Facebook, YouTube, having a conversation or two with a friend, listening to music at the same time. I’m doing a million things at once." Although, my marks have not been negatively affected by short attention span yet, I feel like its only a matter of time before it does and I can definitely see how a short attention span can lower the marks of other students.

In the article, Mr.Reilly says that "... technology amplifies whoever you are." In my opinion, technology doesn't amplify a person personality but creates a platform to be a completely different person. The ability to stay anonymous online gives people the chance whatever they want without any major consequences. This gives people the opportunity to say things they normally wouldn't say if their identity was known. This allows everyone to be more outgoing and loud then they really are. 

The article discusses a study that concluded that engaging in a highly stimulating actives such as playing video games affects your sleep habits and ability to retain information. Although, I'm sure that  playing video games can affect sleep patterns because the stimulation keeps you excited and eager for more. However, I believe that the difficulty retaining  information stems from the lack of sleep not the stimulation of the videos games. Personally, I think I retain information better while stimulated and I often listen to music or pace while studying. 

I believe that technology should definitely be continued to be used in classrooms because by putting technology into classes you will be able to grasp the very little attention they have. Mr. Eaton, a Latin teacher, said " When rock ’n’ roll came about, we didn’t start using it in classrooms like we’re doing with technology." I think the reason its a good idea to implement technology over other teenage hobbies like rock n roll is that the ability to use technology is key in most careers today, so if you can couple computer literacy with other subject, your not only engaging them in a lesson you are also teaching them skills vital in the workplace. 

The article has an overall focus on the way students waste time while using technology, they also do spend time learning things online as well. Technology allows students to learn and research faster then ever and I believe that a lot of students  do take advantage of that.  All in all, however the author did have a good grasp of technology use among teens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment